May 25, 2008

Fanfiction: Bringer of Light

Occasionally Ming thinks too much.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one concerned about this. I probably am ^^; The Japanese Wiki entry for Mebius does mention this matter, though. (and, as always, click to enlarge the picture.)

What follows is not canon, was executed in about two days (and edited for 6-7) and is strictly the ramblings of a meticulous fan to reconcile things internally. But I do hope you enjoy it nevertheless.

Title: Bringer of Light
Date: 21/5/2008
Fandom: Ultraman (Mebius)
Genre: General
Rating/Warnings: PG. Ultraman and all related characters (c) Tsuburaya Productions 1966, 2008.The name 'Lucien Candela' should not be taken as canon.
Summary: Set post-series. Mebius finds out, a little awkwardly, what Hikari's actual name is. But in the end, perhaps a name is what you answer to.

Someone was calling him. Ultraman Hikari turned, and raised one hand lightly in response to the familiar voice. "It's been a while, Mebius. What brings you here?"

"I just thought I'd stop by and say hello. Captain Zoffy told me you'd been assigned to the weaponry research department. So this is what you do here..." he replied, voice trailing off as he surveyed the area and its controlled chaos.

"Between missions, yes." Hikari followed Mebius' line of sight and chuckled. It must have been completely new to the young fighter, this battleground fought with nothing but information. "I could show you around, if you'd like. I bet the younger members would be happy to see someone from headquarters."

"If it's not too much trouble, I'd like that very much," Mebius said with a smile. Just then, someone else approached the two, a disk of microfilm in hand, and Hikari turned to the sound of his voice.

"Professor Lucien? Lucien Candela? These are the files you wanted." He looked at Hikari, as if expecting a response. Mebius was about to open his mouth, to tell him that surely the researcher was mistaken. Perhaps his friend had a brother, or he was being mistaken for another scientist. But then the Blue Ultran nodded, as if it was the most ordinary thing in the world, and took the disc from him.

"Thank you. I'll get this back to you by day's end. Anything else?"

"Yes. Chief Eien wants to see you." Noticing Mebius' presence, the researcher bowed, and the fighter followed suit, slightly dazed.

"Understood. I'll be right over. He must be new," Hikari added once he was out of earshot. "Sorry, Mebius, I need to look over this right away. We'll have a chance to talk later."

"Sure, not a problem," Mebius said by way of acknowledgement. "But...he called you 'Lucien'?"

The man fiddled with the disk gently, his expression somewhat unreadable. "What they used to call me, before I went to Arb. Now if you will excuse me..." He turned on his heel and headed back to a terminal, leaving behind his very confused comrade.

------

The day was almost at its end before the two were able to resume their conversation. Up on the Garrison's roof deck, Mebius was deep enough in thought that he almost missed the approaching footsteps.

"It's a bit dangerous to be so occupied," Hikari—no, Lucien said dryly. Mebius had done his research in the past hours. He'd gone through the list of Star Mark recipients, scientific journals on planetary studies, experiments in portable weaponry like a few of the Ultra Brothers possessed; every one of them mentioned a 'Professor Lucien Candela'. One had a picture staring calmly back at him from the screen. The most recent document he could find that contained the name was a proposal to study the Planet Arb, once a flourishing utopia and now stripped bare and cold. Through his friend, he knew this all too well.

"I...I must apologise," Mebius said. "We've fought together all this time, and I never knew or asked your real name. I just called you what Ryuu-san called you. But I remember when I was younger, still in school, they mentioned the scientist Candela Lamben, and how he worked beside the First Six and the Emperan resistance forces. That scientist was your father?"

"It's nothing to be sorry about. And yes, I am that Candela's son." He leaned against the railing beside Mebius, folding his arms before his chest. "I suppose my father hoped that his son would bring pride to the race when he named me. Lu-shi-en, blue-shadow-advance. For a long time I was able to take pride in that name, and continue the work he started during the Emperan occupation. And then, I requested to go and investigate Arb..." He fell silent for a while before Mebius' questioning gaze encouraged him to continue.

"You must understand one thing." There was a cold steel edge at the back of his words. "Lucien was pure and naive, believing with one heart in the goodness of life. When Arb died—when that beautiful, innocent place died, he died with it, consumed by Tsurugi and its desire for vengeance. Hikari...Hikari is the one who fights for all the Arbs yet to be, before history repeats itself and more life is sacrificed." He broke off with a short laugh. "Please excuse me. I'm rambling."

"It makes sense anyway," Mebius replied slowly, thoughtfully. "That part of yourself may not have died so easily. It comes back to Earth again."

"It does? You would think the Sage himself guided us there..."

"I checked it out. Lucien, in French—another Terran language—it means 'bringer of light'. And so you have brought light to many people. It is a good name to simply throw away and let die. Should I use it, from now on?" he asked, curious and intent on receiving a definitive answer.

"Well, that's something." He tilted his head, a faint smile playing on his lips as he thought it over. "No, Mebius. Lucien is dead, Sage rest him. Call me what you always have. After all, you and Ryuu and the rest of them had a part in that naming. So, would you still like that tour tomorrow?"

Mebius smiled once more. "Yes, Hikari, actually I would."
[+/-] "...he called you 'Lucien'?"

P.S. - This is what happens when you put Ming and old books together:

BRB, running from Hikari.

No comments: